I really like The CEO Refresher. Once a month, I receive an email covering a wide array of management and leadership topics. This month, I particularly enjoyed the article from Ronya Banks, The Top Ten Ways To Improve Your Leadership Skills. Its a short, bulleted primer listing a set of ideals and philosophies to guide you along your path of leadership enlightenment. It is a high-level road map. The ten items are as follows:
- Have a clear vision of yourself, others, and the world.
- Know and utilize your strengths and gifts.
- Live in accordance with your morals and values.
- Lead others with inclusiveness and compassion.
- Set definitive goals and follow concrete action plans.
- Maintain a positive attitude.
- Improve communication skills.
- Motivate others to greatness.
- Be willing to admit and learn from failures and weaknesses.
- Continue to educate and improve yourself.
This is a great outline to get anyone started down the path to improving themselves not only as a leader, but as a person.